N.b.: I'm sorry if this seems choppy, but the fact that I'm practically frothing at the mouth in an intense fit of pique doesn't lend itself to logical thought.

Is It Time to Secede?

....or at least emigrate? Proud Massachusetts-that bulkwark of blue state-dom-is one of the best states in the country to live in. Good economy, good schools, good public transport, healthy cities, livable towns, culture, the arts, science, etc. Most of the blue states are this way. Take a look at the map of the US. With the exception of the Frost Belt, the country is, essentially, two golden bookends holding a crap sandwich together. I don't understand it. I just don't understand it. Why should the fates of New York, California, and the like be dictated by the so-called "Heartland" of America, where ideogouges manipulate the population with "family values". I, for one, am sick of that pointless, vapid dogma. Every other Western country is making social progress, and yet we lag behind, actually taking steps backard, dragged down into religious extremism.

Don't you guys know, don't you realize, that Bush has been the worst President in modern history? More jobs overseas, with our new jobs being at places like Wal-Mart and McDonald's? The tax cuts that will further bankrupt Social Security, which, in turn will be ruined by privatization? The erosion of our civil liberties under the Patriot Act? A pointless war and a rule by fear? The US as a global pariah?

I don't get it. I just don't get it. And I'm not the only one. Almost half of us are totally against Bush, and we are all sick and tired of being embarassed, ashamed, and angry. It was time for a change.

Now, I feel extremely angry. I feel like it's time to get the hell out. Too long has our fate been decided by the misinformed. Too long have we been ashamed. And now we must stand, idly by, as our country-the pride and joy of the Western world-descends even deeper into madness, misery, and ruin.

Or Is There Hope for the Future?

Of course, I don't mean to make this an impotent collection of rants. We are not totally powerless. Yet. I don't know what to think. The Republicans now control all three branches of government. This will be called "Black Wednesday" in many liberal circles.

Despite it all, however, there are glimmers of hope. Barack Obama. The Senate gain in Colorado-evidence of a political thawing in that state. New Hampshire, finally coming into line with the rest of New England. And then there's Bush's Cabinet, most of which is on the way out. So while the short term bodes ill for us liberals-and I gladly and openly apply that to myself-there are islands of hope in a sea of dispair.

Time for a Change

No, I'm not talking about the Kerry slogan about change for the nation, though I do agree with that. I'm talking about the Democratic Party itself. We've sacrificed our liberal values on the altar of public opinion. You know what? The status quo sucks. You know what else? "Mainstream values" suck, too. I don't think that being in line with a nation that loves Survivor, SUVs, Wal-Mart, and Britney Spears is anything to pat yourself on the back about.

Truth be told, the Democrats used to stand for something. Say what you want about the GOP, at least they have a consistent message. And we should adopt one too. The Democrats flourished in the twentieth century because we represented hope and change. And change doesn't come from supporting the current public opinion and pandering to different segments of the population. One of the reasons we lost, in addition to the right-wing extremists and their misguided flocks out there, is that we appear as a many-headed Hydra, trying to be a million things at once.

It's time to stop that. It's time to take a stand, once and for all, even if it's unpopular. Fiscal responsibility. Good education. Environmental protection. Peace. Gay marriage. Gun control. Universal healthcare. These are good things, worth fighting for. If only we could stop pussyfooting around, and really adopt a truly liberal agenda, I think the population would catch on.

Stand for something, for God's sake.

The High School Dance Scenario

Think of the electorate as a really pretty girl at the high school dance. You know you love her. You know you will treat her right. All you want is a dance with her, to show her that you care for her and will treat her like a goddess. Shakily and nervously, expecting rejection, you sidle up to her.

"Want to dance?" you ask, avoiding eye contact.

She sneers just a little. "Sorry, no," she says.

Just then, in walks the class asshole. He's left other girls crying and brokenhearted in a corner of the room, beneath the whirling disco ball, sobbing into red plastic cups of Pepsi. This guy's a jackass and a half. He might even be a woman-beater-he's definitely taking 'roids to make varsity.

He walks up to your girl. "Hey, baby, let's dance."

"Sure." They take off to the dance floor and you're left alone, sobbing into your Pepsi.

What went wrong. In a word: Confidence. That nerd sobbing into his Pepsi is us, the left. Divided and confused, we're bumbling around while the girl walks away.

I say that's got to stop. You never get girls, or votes, that way. Remember Howard Dean. Be wrong, be right, but at least be something. If the Dems can learn that, then we can truly win. If we show the misled in this country that we mean business, the idea of social progress will filter through the "red" states, and eventually bring them aroud. Show them an alternative! Show them an alternative, for God's sake, and they'll know. They'll see! It's just like every 80's teen comedy: Just be yourself, and you will be fine.

What's the worst thing that could happen? That we lose the Presidential election, and control of all three branches of government?

Uh, I think that just happened. So enough already.