Fender is a world-renowned manufacturer of guitars and guitar amps. The company was started over forty years ago with one man, Leo Fender. The initial beginnings of the company came from a need to design a better guitar and better amps. From this idea Fender would go on to manufacturer the Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster, and the Precision Bass.

In the mid-sixties Leo Fender would fall upon bad health. This decline in his well being would cause the sale of Fender to the corporate giant CBS. Under the control of CBS, Fender would gain much sales growth. However, the commitment to quality instruments was not as apparent with this corporate giant. This obvious decrease in workmanship caused CBS to hire a new management team to try to revise the current workings of Fender; William Schultz headed this team. William along with his associates came up with a plan to revive the Fender name. Basically, the plan was to go back to focusing on research and production of quality instruments. However, CBS soon decided to pull out of this non-broadcast business.

Thus in 1985 William Schultz led a group of employees and inventors to purchase Fender from CBS. Finally, there was a return of people dedicated to music to the head of Fender. However, there were no buildings included in this sale. The only things received were the patents, old stock, and the Fender name.

When first receiving the company Schultz and company relied on many offshore manufacturers that had previously proved themselves for quality. However, a want of control over the end product eventually led to the creation of the domestic factory in Corona, California.

Over the following years Fender became the owner of Sunn amplification and Guild guitars. Another important note in the history of Fender was the creation of the now famous Fender Custom Shop. This allowed for musicians to have the quality of custom made instruments that were already offered by many other guitar manufacturers.

Through all of the adversity facing Fender throughout the years it has come to be known once again as a quality instrument manufacturer.