Futurama is simply one of the best science fiction TV shows out there. No, really. The understanding of the issues, the use of futuristic technology, the character development, the production values all are really the work of a really good TV show.

And it's damn funny. It needs to run long enough to go into syndication, and then we all need to watch it in the afternoons or late nights every day of the week. We need Futurama videotape or DVD collections to enjoy at our leisure. We need Fox to use it as filler when they cancel one of their crappy sitcoms. We need more excellent websites like The Futurama Outlet to satisfy our need for sounds and images.

There's enough going on in each episode to enable you to look at each multiple times for references to all sorts of other pop culture icons. Look in the backgrounds and you'll almost always see something you haven't before.

So, make sure you spend time with Fry, Leela, Bender, Professor Farnsworth, Hermes, Dr. Zoidberg, Amy, Nibbler, Zapp Branigan, Kif, Morbo, Calculon, Richard M. Nixonand all the rest every week, and whenever you can after that. You'll be glad you did.

(this has not been paid for by the Futurama Sycophants Association, but it should have)


(early 2002): Thanks a lot, guys. The show's on hiatus now. It may never come back. You've ruined me.