A special generator which is probably the best demonstration in any Physics or Science class.

It consists of a large, silvery metal globe atop an insulated cylinder connected to a box with a motor and belt that stirs electrostatic charge.

It works as such: The belt has a number of steel wool tips on the base of the belt, which deposits a negative static electricity charge onto the belt. Like rubbing a comb onto a rubber balloon to get a charge on the rubber. When the belt gets to the top, steel wool tips 'scrape' off the electrons and charge the metal globe.

Now, you have a charged metal globe, what to do with it? If you take a steel rod and bring it close, sparks will jump, like in a tesla coil. Nifty.

But what you really need is this. Take a student/bystander, preferably with long or free hair, and have them stand on something insulated, like a desk, rubber mat, milk crate, or sneakers (may not work as well). With the machine off, have the volunteer stand on the insulation and hold one hand up so they touch the globe (discharge it first).

Turn the machine on. Within seconds the globe will fill with electrons and through the arm of the person. Their hair should stand on end within seconds. Take a picture, they look like the statue of liberty. Better yet, repeat it with 2 people. Shut the machine off, first.

Once you turn the machine off, the person is still charged. Oh, they'll be shocked once you touch them, and their hair should promptly fall.(down, not out)