A comic book created by Matt Wagner, published at first by Comico and later by Dark Horse Comics.

The story is divided in several substories, each ranging from three to twelve issues and each illustrated by a different artist.

First, there is the story about Hunter Rose, a celebrated writer and fencer who becomes a sort of totally ruthless gentleman gangster and dies at the hands of his archenemy, the werewolf Argent. Wagner himself illustrated these issues and apparently dislikes them so much that he has sworn never to reprint them.

Rose took to wearing a very special mask, black with two exaggerated white eyes drawn on, and wielding a staff with a forked blade at the end. These items are later picked up and used by Christine Spar when her son is abducted by the vampire Tujiro. Christine is victorious and also has a run-in with Argent, whom she kills. This part of the story runs for twelve issues and is illustrated by Arnold & Jacob Pander and Jay Geldhof.

Christines lover Brian Li Sung is the next person to become Grendel, it is now hinted that Grendel is more than a mask; maybe some kind of demon. However, Brian is a wimp and dies after only three issues (drawn by Bernie Mireault).

Then Wagner himself draws the next four issues, which are two stories about Hunter Rose told retroactively by Wiggins, the police officer who killed Brian.

The next four episodes (art by Ron Turner) take place during the course of 400 years and show how the grendel figure developes into a social phenomenon. A nuclear war breaks out, but not devastate the planet. In the aftermath, and gang of young punks adopt Grendel as their totem.

The next person to become Grendel is Eppy Thatcher, a half-deranged loner who turns his hatred onto Vatican Ouest, the new catholic church that rules most of what remains of America. He is joined in the fight by Orion Assante an aristocrat from an excommunicated family. It turns out that the pope is in reality the old enemy, Tujiro, who is killed by Eppy during an epic fight. This story runs for ten issues, drawn by John K. Snyder, Jay Geldhof and Bernie Mireault.

The last story (seven issues drawn by Tim Sale) tells the tale of Orion and how he, using cunning and military power, unites first America, then the rest of the world, under one rule. Only too late does he realize that he too has become Grendel.


In my opinion this is one great comic, especially the last two stories. Wagner was critized for his less than flattering portrayal of the catholic church, so I recommend reading it with an open mind.