Thank you Cosmic Cat. You are so correct. Childbirth and pregnancy have been way over medicalized. You covered this aspect well in your W/U above. I want to add that childbearing women must themselves take back the responsibility as well their own power.

Take childbirth classes that teach non-pharmaceutical pain management. If you get an epidural a cascade of events begins that often leads to more and more medical interventions. This often leads to the flat on the back labors, limitations on walking, C-sections, and medicated babies who can't breastfeed effectively. Mothers with epidurals often get fevers leading to septic workups of their infants. This means multiple blood samples and a lumbar puncture for the newborn baby in many cases.

These classes won't be located within the hospital. Look elsewhere. Do your research. Nurses teaching within the hospital setting are often restricted in exactly what they can say. Anesthesiologists rarely admit that the medications they administer to the mother also affect the baby in negative ways. Money, god complexes, AND a sincere desire to stop pain all contribute to this.

Choose your healthcare providers carefully. Think about using a midwife. They have better track records than OBs in terms of safe births for mother and baby in low risk pregnancies. Make sure to research them too. See that my generalization is applicable to your specific case. Look for how they refer if risk factors are identified. Look for how they handle emergencies in terms of relationships with hospitals, doctors and ambulances. Look at their experience and their track record.

Choose the setting you wish to give birth in. Hospitals are not the only option. You can give birth in a birthing center staffed with midwives or at home. These are safe options! Statistically midwives have better outcomes in terms of the infant than OBs in low risk cases. They know how to assess the risk before the birth. They do not take on cases where C-sections will be needed. These things can be assessed ahead of time, as evidenced by Jennifer above KNOWING she will need one. Most women do not, and they don't need a hospital to have a birth that is safe for the baby. Interventions have a cost TO THE BABY.

Childbirth is a wonderful and empowering experience. Yes; it is hard but it can be managed. We are strong; we were designed for this work. Take back your power. Be glad that interventions are there when needed but don't be convinced that you need them without good evidence.


Coffy, When I speak of power, I am not talking about power OVER the pregnancy or the fetus, I am speaking of the power to be strong, to do the tremendous work of delivering a baby without interference IN NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES. This results in a healthier mother AND a healthier baby. Of course I believe in prenatal care; it results in healthier babies and mothers even in low risk pregnancies and CLEARLY points out which pregnancies are high risk and in need of selected medical interventions. That is not the medicalization I am leery of.

Of course I believe in incubators for 2 pound babies (or any others who need them). Premature birth certainly calls for medical intervention. That is not the medicalization I am leery of.

The most important thing to be gleaned from this node is that medical interventions have a cost/benefit ratio. Acknowledge the cost as well the benefit. I am talking about developing a little fire in the gut and doing the right thing. I am talking about doing your homework and making informed decisions. I am talking about taking responsibility instead of allowing yourself to be patronized. The reason I seem to ranting on the less intervention side is I see so much intervention. 70% epidural rates and 25% Caesarean rates are common in many hospitals. Something is wrong with that.

By the way, in the US, nurse midwives are part of the "conventional medicine" scene. They can often admit and/or treat patients in hospitals. If they can't they have reciprocal relationships with MDs or ODs who can if complications occur during births they attend at home or in free standing birthing centers. "Lay" midwives are a different story and may not have such good back up.

Here is a place to start:
Read the section about giving birth in modern American hospitals
http://www.davis-floyd.com/index.html