Spaghettini Estivi (Summer spaghetti)
Serves 4 - 6
- Dice about 6 cups very ripe fresh tomatoes or alternatively a similar quantity of sweet cherry tomatoes. Mash some and leave some roughly chopped.
- Add ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Add ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- Add 2 tsp. salt
- Add 2 tsp. Pepper
- Add 4 (or so) cloves finely chopped garlic
- Chiffonade enough fresh basil to equal about 1 cup loosely packed
- chop a handful of flat-leaf parsley to equal about 2 tablespoons
Toss all together and let marinade (without cooking) at room temperature for about 4 hours. May be done the day before and left in refrigerator.
Cook either 1 pound spaghetti # 9 or linguini until al dente
Just before serving time strain the thin liquid juice from the mix, boil down to reduce to your preferred thickness. Leave the solids at room temperature (you want the raw tomato taste)
Recombine warm liquid and room temperature solids and toss all with the hot pasta
Top with grated ricotta salata or crumbled Feta to taste
Goes well with a side dish of that other ubiquitous summer vegetable, zuchinnie