Some plants produce multiple flowers. Flowers are the precursor of seeds. Seeds are the way most plants reproduce. Plants are smart. Once seeds are produced plants concentrate their energy into their reproductive success by growing the seed. For many plants, this means they stop producing more flowers.

If a gardener removes spent flowers before seed production is fully underway some plants (especially annuals and repeat blooming perenials) are fooled into making another flower. Sometimes, it will even make 2 for 1 because cutting a stem induces branching as well. Some plants will only make a certain number of blooms but others seem to be limited only by the gardeners dedication to deadheading.

Intentionally removing old flowers, whether for aesthetic reasons, to move plant energies away from seed production and/or to induce the production of more flowers is called deadheading....mean to future generations of flowers, nice to the garden.

Deadheading can be quite a chore in large gardens. Roses, petunias, zinnias, lantanas, pansies, and cone flowers are examples of plants that will respond with increased flowers if deadheaded regularly. Some plants are "self cleaning", meaning they drop their petals cleanly and don't need to be deadheaded for aesthetics. Old fashioned impatiens, coreopsis, and azaleas don't benefit by deadheading. Some plants fall in the middle and will do some limited repeat blooming if deadheaded plus have ugly dead flower carcasses. Yarrow and lavender are good examples of the former. Some plants simply need to be deadheaded because the spent flower is so ugly. Some need to be deadheaded because the seed production requires excessive energy which would be better used elsewhere (from the gardener's perspective). Most bulbs, tuberous, and rhizomatic plants fall into this category. We want the energy to go to the bulb, tuber or rhizome. Some plants should not be deadheaded because the seed pod is desireable. Some rose hips and sunflowers fall into this category.

Deadheading can be a quite satisfying experience. Walking around the garden, cleaning up old blooms, leaving a fresh palate while encouraging new growth and sniping a few fresh blooms for the house is very relaxing, meditative time for me.