Respectfully, I disagree with the title, however I wanted to make certain I was clear on the meaning of the words, especially grief. The medical definition: deep and poignant distress caused by or as if by bereavement; also, a cause of such suffering. Definition #3 a: an unfortunate outcome, disaster. b: mishap, misadventure. c: trouble, annoyance. d: annoying or playful criticism. (see example for kids: 1- a deep sorrow, sadness. 2- things that cause problems (enough grief for one day). an unfortunate happening (the boat came to grief on the rocks). Also listed were 9 synonyms, 27 antonyms, 17 near antonyms, 45 related words, and 10 words that rhyme with grief.

...When you feel so tired but you can't sleep
And the tears come streaming down your face
When you lose something you can't replace
When you love someone but it goes...
Could it be worse?

Thief rhymes with grief.

My thoughts and feelings on the matter coincide with my world view on practically everything. Everyone experiences and expresses grief in their own unique ways.

...Lights will guide you home
And ignite your bones
And I will try to fix you...

As for grief being the price we pay for love, I believe once you start thinking about love as a commodity, love loses its strength, beauty, and mystery.

Belief rhymes with grief.

...On the turning away
From the pale and downtrodden
And the words they say
Which we won't understand...

Grief is certainly associated with love, as love is bound to grief. That is life. Picture a Venn diagram, the intersection being much smaller, with the potential for an extreme reaction, or the littlest, non-logical miracle.

Leitmotif rhymes with grief.

...Light is changing to shadow
And casting its shroud
Over all we have known
Unaware how the ranks have grown
Driven on by a heart of stone...

I have found love to be more simple and more complicated, as the years go by. The same could be said about grief, as they walk hand in hand, some days.

Brief rhymes with grief.

...Tears stream down your face
When you lose something you cannot replace...
Lights will guide you home...
And I
And I will try to fix you


Merriam-Webster online
Pink Floyd "On the Turning Away"
Coldplay "Fix You"