The word cult is a rather subjective term. Depending on who you are asking, I could be concidered a cult. I have refrained from including Catholics, Baptists, Muslims, Mormons and the like here due to fact that, regardless of my feelings on the subject; the majority of the world does not see them in this light. The definition of cult is as follows:

cult (kult)
n.

  1. A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.
  2. The followers of such a religion or sect.
  3. A system or community of religious worship and ritual.
  4. The formal means of expressing religious reverence; religious ceremony and ritual.
  5. A usually nonscientific method or regimen claimed by its originator to have exclusive or exceptional power in curing a particular disease.
  6. Obsessive, especially faddish, devotion to or veneration for a person, principle, or thing.
  7. The object of such devotion.
  8. An exclusive group of persons sharing an esoteric, usually artistic or intellectual interest.
n. attributive.

Often used to modify another noun: a cult figure; cult films.


I have met janitors that are cult leaders under these particular definitions; still, I find cults interesting and so I have included a list of the more prolific, deadly and just plain stupid cults here. If it has to do with UFO's, guns, inbreeding or thetans; it's here. If it exists and it isn't here, feel free to message it to me or add it yourself.

It's worth noting that the "cults" listed here are groups of people whom have either killed people (sometimes many people), themselves or are concidered to be a possible danger to themselves or others (with the exception of "the wh0rg", which is a cult that I started).