Ovuca is a one-man music machine from northern Finland. The artist, Aleksi Perälä has developed a delightful taste for the unexpected, despite or because of his young age.

His music? You know how hard it is to describe music... Ovuca sound can be very simple, almost naive at times. But he also indulges in fierce bursts of drum'n'bass, techno and whatnot. Probably its best you listen to it and decide for yourself.

Ovuca has released material for Rephlex Records (of Aphex Twin fame) and hopefully more will follow. In Finland, he has managed to escape most of the limelight shared by his peers.

Discography that I'm aware of:

  • LACTAVENT LP
    Rephlex Records CAT081CD (CD) 1999
  • LACTAVENT LP
    Rephlex Records CAT081LP (2xLP) 1999
  • KING STACEY EP
    Rephlex Records CAT105CD 2000
  • KING STACEY EP
    Rephlex Records CAT105EP 2000
  • ONCLEMENTS LP
    Rephlex Records CAT104CD (CD) 2000
  • ONCLEMENTS LP
    Rephlex Records CAT104LP (4xLP) 2000
  • WASTED SUNDAY LP
    Rephlex Records CAT110CD (CD) 2001
  • WASTED SUNDAY LP
    Rephlex Records CAT110LP (2xLP) 2001
  • and several appereances on compilations here and there


As a personal side note, I had the pleasure of seeing Ovuca performing live at Avanto, the Helsinki Media Art Festival of 2000. His set was one of the last and followed a very severe bombardment of non-melodic, experimental, electronic noise by some fine masters of the art (eg Fennesz, Hecker, Pan Sonic, Kaffe Matthews, Merzbow, Scanner, ...). His set was surprisingly entertaining and most of the time very danceable! I thought I recognised elements from early techno, kraftwerkian moods and just plain good old ravism! This was also noticed by the audience. His stage performance was minimalistic to say the least: a low table, a laptop and the man himself. No chair, just a lot of visisble enthousiasm. Personally, I enjoyed it and intend on catching another gig if possible.