Cowboy Bebop is now showing on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim in an impressively less edited form. While they got away with few edits in these episodes, future episodes risk stiff editing, if not being completely dropped altogether. We must wait and see...

Well 6 episodes have run in 3 weeks (last 2 were delayed a week). Episode 6, "Sympathy for the Devil" was dropped in its entirety. Most other edits have been the removal of some blood, and painting bathing suits on pictures in the magazines that show up at times (a la Tenchi).

12/24/2001
Cartoon Network's second run of Bebop is underway, and while the edits are in full force, all 3 episodes that were dropped from the previous run will be included. This puts CN roughly equal with WOWOW (except for the edits).

The Cowboy Bebop Metanode

カウボーイ・べボップ・メタノド


All DVD Listings cover the US 6 DVD release. The Japanese release, total, covered 10 DVDs (9 show, plus Session 0, an extras disc which was spread out among the 6 US DVDs)

Session 1 DVD:
Session 2 DVD:
Session 3 DVD:
Session 4 DVD:
  • 15. My Funny Valentine (マイ・ファニー・ヴァレンタイン) Mai Fani- Varentain
  • 16. Black Dog Serenade (ブラック・ドッグ・セレナーデ) Burakku Dogu Serenade
  • 17. Mushroom Samba (マッシュルーム・サンバ) Masshurumu Sanba
  • 18. Speak Like a Child (スピーク・ライク・ア・チャイルド) Supiku Raiku A Chairudo
Session 5 DVD:
  • 19. Wild Horses (ワイルド・ホーセス) Wairudo Hosesu
  • 20. Pierrot Le Fou (道化師の鎮魂歌) Doukeshi no Chinkon Uta - Note here in the Japanese preview, Jet says "rekuien," which would be taken as an alternate reading. A rough translation would be "Clown's Requiem"
  • 21. Boogie-Woogie Feng-Shui (ブギ・ウギ・フンシェイ) Bugi Ugi Fenshiei
  • 22. Cowboy Funk (カウボーイ・ファンク) Kauboi Fanku
Session 6 DVD: Soundtracks:
Other Cowboy Bebop Related Nodes:

Not many US fans know that when Cowboy Bebop originally aired on TV Tokyo, only 12 of the 26 total episodes were aired. Many, such as all but two of the Spike vs. Vicious episodes were cut due to violence, some episodes were cut for content, or some because they were filler. Also, no episode over 19 was aired on TV Tokyo.

The entire series was released on DVD and VHS, and was shortly thereafter picked up by Japanese satellite network WOWOW, which aired all 26 episodes in their entirety.

The following is a list of all the episodes that didn't air on TV Tokyo:

Asteroid Blues
Gateway Shuffle
Ballad of Fallen Angels
Sympathy for the Devil
Black Dog Serenade
Mushroom Samba
Wild Horses
Pierrot Le Fou
Boogie Woogie Feng Shui
Cowboy Funk
Brain Scratch
Hard Luck Women
The Real Folk Blues Part 1
The Real Folk Blues Part 2


カウボーイ・べボップ: 天国の扉


Released in August 2001, Cowboy Bebop: Tengoku no Tobira (English Title: Knockin' on Heaven's Door)

The movie promises to be badass, and with any luck the rumored licensors, Columbia Tristar, will give it the treatment they gave Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

The subtitle "Knockin' on Heaven's Door" will not be present in the American release, due to worries of copyright violations.

Fanboys will be pleased, Faye Valentine gets a shower scene

The movie sits between the episodes Cowboy Funk and Brain Scratch, and features the crew of the Bebop chasing Vincent Volaju down after his reign of bio-terrorism, to the tune of 300,000,000 woolongs.
The Columbia Connection - Yes, in Wild Horses, Doohan does rebuild and fly the Space Shuttle Columbia. Sadly, this can no longer be the case. In response to the incident, Cartoon Network _did_ drop the episode from its lineup that week. Due to their previous action like this, I believe it will be present next time around.

Someone sent me a message with the exact date the episode did not air on, and I now forget. If you'd be so kind as to send me a message, I'd be grateful.