Transforms from radio to robot and back!

AUTOBOT: BLASTER

FUNCTION: COMMUNICATIONS
"When the music is rockin, I'm rollin."

Finds all Earth music interesting, but it's rock'n'roll--good, hard and loud--that really sparks his circuits. In the forefront of any situation he's involved in. As AM/FM stereo cassette player, he can perform as deck plus receive radio signals of all frequencies with power outputs as low as 1/1,000,000 watt. Acts as Autobot communications center...can transmit up to 4,000 miles. Carries electro-scrambler gun that disrupts electrical devices.

  • Strength: 8
  • Intelligence: 8
  • Speed: 2
  • Endurance: 8
  • Rank: 7
  • Courage: 9
  • Firepower: 7
  • Skill: 9
Transformers Tech Specs


Blaster was rolled out in the second year as the Autobot counterpart to Soundwave, although they didn't think to create any Autobot cassettes to fit inside him until the following year. Despite the funky red-and-grey coloring job, it was fun to pretend you had a real boombox to carry around back before you could afford a real one. Plus his robot mode looked mighty cool. The cartoon gave him an equally fun personality, and paired him up with Tracks on one or two occasions.

In fact, the Japanese toys that became Blaster and Soundwave were both part of the same Takara toy line, but only Soundwave was chosen for the first round of toys. This is obvious, when you think about it: the Decepticons were all about fighting and espionage, while the Autobots were, well, automobiles and trucks, so Blaster wouldn't have fit into the Autobot lineup. Only after they had broken the rules by adding Stunticons and Aerialbots to the "wrong" teams did it seem plausible to add Blaster as well, but by that time, the cassettes were all on the Decepticon side. New ones had to be created before the Autobots could have a cassette force of their own.