A suburb in inner Melbourne nested in a bend in the Yarra River between Collingwood to the North and South Yarra. As well as Collingwood and South Yarra, it has borders with Abbotsford to the North, Hawthorn to the East, Kew to the North East and East Melbourne to the West.

Like most inner city suburbs from working class roots around the world, it has reasonable night life, although not as rowdy as in the punk days. It also boasts some excellent restaraunts, especially on Bridge Road. Bridge Road is also home to a large number of fashion shops and, with Swan Street and it's array of designer factory outlets just down the hill, Richmond is quite a popular destination for the female clothes shopper.

Richmond also has a fashion design industry, as well as information technology, hardware and building supply shops, and manufacture.

To the Northern end of Richmond, around Victoria Street, there is a large Vietnamese community, so large that Victoria has earned the nickname 'Little Saigon' or 'New Saigon'. This part of Richmond enhances inner suburban Melbourne's cosmopolitan atmosphere and provides a lot of interesting shopping and dining that would not be available in other parts of the city.

Richmond is home to the Richmond Football Club or The Richmond Tigers, an Australian Rules football team and member of the AFL.