This was all very cinematic - I was watching it happen, not part of it.

On a sidewalk in a downtown area of two- to five-story buildings are two men heading somewhere nearby to commit a heist or some such. Two accomplices are just above them, on the roof of a two-story building. Something goes wrong, shots ring out, one of the rooftop guys falls out of sight; the other falls to the sidewalk. The leader, who looks much like Robert De Niro, and his cohort grab their dying associate and all three get on a motorcycle and tear off. That there is pursuit is a given but the police or whoever aren't right behind them. They have a wild ride through the city, making lots of sharp turns and threading through traffic. On a wide boulevard a long electric train is coming up the median but they miss their chance to swerve across the road ahead of it to use the train to hide their next moves. They still manage to make some more maneuvers and shake the pursuers. Meanwhile the guy who fell from the roof has died but has not fallen from the bike. They ride to the beach and speed right across the sand and into the ocean. Fully submerged, they leave the bike and the corpse and walk out of the water and down the beach, casually. No one seems to notice that three went in and only two emerged.

They proceed farther down the beach, to a more isolated, narrow section with rip-rap piled high close to the water and a building or house on a jetty nearby. A lone guy on the beach taunts the leader, commenting about trying to look so tough while soaking-wet. They ignore the guy as they pass and he shakes his beer and sprays the leader's head. The leader whirls around and gets the guy in a headlock, throwing him to the ground and sticking a shotgun in his face. The Beach Patrol happens upon the scene and they arrest them all for brawling. The two go quietly, figuring they can't be connected to the previous, more serious events.

The paddy wagon arrives and as the two climb aboard they see their wounded rooftop accomplice already inside. All are careful to not indicate that they know each other; messages are exchanged with glances and nods. En route to the processing center there is some disruption - a big pothole in the road or an accident just ahead, and the wagon tips. The door of the paddy wagon bursts open and the three manage to escape amidst the mayhem.

I became aware that I had been watching a story at this point and tried to puzzle-out what was coming next as wakefulness slowly pushed the whole scene into the dim distance.