Dinner Hour

by maxClimb

Scene: Longish line of people at a grocery check-out. A young couple with a hand basket of items are one customer back from the front of the line. She's ahead, turned toward He a bit.

He: So then the next slide is that 'snake eating its tail' thing, the Oro-Barrosa - always creeps me out.

She: The 'Ouroboros'.

He: Whatever. Scarfing till it's just a dot of a head. Yuck.

She: There's more to it than that...

He: I mean, it would hurt! It's self-destructive!

She: What'd he say about it?

He: Oh... ancient symbol... self-consuming lust... gateway to the next world. Usual mumbo-jumbo. (nods toward counter) We're up.

She: (unloading basket) It's eternity - like the snake doesn't just chomp away blindly...

He: I'm gonna chomp away tonight - I'm starved! What's cookin', anyway?

She: (Holds up flat ovoid pack containing a large sausage, one end nearly touching the other) Kielbasa and Red Cabbage, old family recipe.

He: God! It's everywhere!

She: Wha...? (looks at sausage pack, tosses it on counter) Oh. It isn't circular, and there's no head, silly. And I'm counting on leftovers, so restrain yourself.

He: Don't worry!

She: So anyway, the snake only takes a little bite, digests it and makes more snake - that's the positive view. The world creating itself, from itself.

He: (with dry sarcasm) Gee Professor! (dismissively) Makes no sense to me. (to Clerk) Yo dude, 'sup?

Clerk: Hey man. Off tonight? (rings up groceries)

He: Yeah. I got can alley in the AM, then Express Line till noon.

Clerk: Killer. I got graves all next week.

He: Enough in there for my paycheck? (endorses check and hands it to clerk)

Clerk: (smirking) Enough for what YOU get.

He: Keeps us going.

She: (smiles wanly) Income just meets outgo.

Clerk: Never any different. Here's your change.

He: (pockets bills, He and She pick up bags) Thanks, bro! Laters.

(They walk a couple of steps)

She: I just remembered! We're outta' TP!

He: Shit! I guess we'll have to get back in line...

(blackout)