Baureihe (Class) 298 is Deutsche Bahn's (i.e. DB Cargo's) diesel locomotive for heavy shunting and slow, midrange freight services. 298s came into being by conversion of existing locos (mainly 202 and 204) in the mid-1990s.
298 features a pneumatically-controlled fluid transmission comprising four torque converters, allowing for hydraulic braking, and a radio remote control for unmanned shunting. They can be MUed together; two 298s are pretty decent traction even for heavy trains in steep terrain.
Technical fact sheet:
- Concept: B'B' layout (four axles in two bogies), both bogies driven by a diesel engine by articulated shafts from a central fluid transmission; a high-traction or a high-speed gear can be selected
- Power:750 kW at 1350 rpm
- Top speed: 80 km/h in high-speed gear, 33 km/h in high-traction gear
- Total weight: 67.3 tonnes (16.8 tonnes per axle)
- Length: 13.94 or 14.24 m, depending on date built
- Distance between bogies: 2.3 m
- Diameter of driven wheels: 1 m
- Tank volume: 1.92 m3