After the Dardanelle expedition at the end of 1915, the forces of the allies were transferred to Salonika. Later, the Serbian army was sent there, and in the spring of 1916 a new war front was created on the Balkans, known as the Macedonian Front. This stretched from the Gulf of Orfano to Ohrid. On the north side of the front line were situated the armies of the Central Forces (Austro-Hungarian, German, Bulgarian and Turkish) and on the south side of the front line the armies of the Allies (Italian, French, Serbian, English, Greek). In the autumn of 1916, the armies of the Allies occupied Bitola, which had around 28,000 citizens before the war but now only had 5,000. Over the next two years, the front line, which passed exactly on the line of the Macedonian-Greek border, did not change.

Finally, in September 1918, the Allied armies, under French General Flansh Depre, successfully defeated the armies of the Central Forces and reoccupied Macedonia for the Allies. On November 11, 1918, Germany falls, and the war ends. The front line that passed through central Macedonia is left with countless destroyed cities and villages, including Dojran, (which today has two settlements: Old: destroyed during the war and New: where the citizens moved during the war), Gevgelija and Kukus, ruined completely, and Petrich, Ohrid, Sandanski, Prilep, Voden, Krusevo, Gravena, Lerin, and many others. Macedonia was turned into a wasteland. This was a cause for a large Macedonian immigration to American and Australia.

For the Ottoman Empire, the end of the World War I came on October 31. It was triggered by the almost simultaneous collapse of the Macedonian and the Palestinian fronts. The Allied attack on the Macedonian front, which started on September 15, resulted in a breakthrough when whole regiments in the Bulgarian army simply left the trenches and revolted. Two weeks later, Bulgaria was forced to sign an unconditional armistice, with terms unilaterally established by the Allies. The collapse of the Bulgarian front left European Turkey, leaving the capital Istanbul open to attack, and the Ottomans had no means of defense, due to the fact that the Ottoman Empire was a primarily agricultural state without the necessary industry to support this industrial war, indicated by the fact that this section of the front was held by less than five weak divisions. After the Palestinian front broke on September 19, and two thirds of the Ottoman forces were destroyed, the Ottoman Empire was forced to surrender.