Updated June 30, 2010

"Seminole State College" is the proper name of a college located at 2701 Boren Boulevard in the city of Seminole in the state of Oklahoma in the United States of America. It is also an abbreviated form of the name of a college with campuses in Seminole County and Orange County in the state of Florida. The latter school adopted the formal name Seminole State College of Florida in 2009, when it began to offer four-year degrees. It was formerly named Seminole Community College or SCC. Seminole State College (Oklahoma) ironically began with the same name as the former Seminole Community College and current Seminole State College of Florida: Seminole Junior College. However, Seminole Junior College in Oklahoma commenced instructional operations in 1931, some 35 years before an austere school of the same name began in Florida in 1966.

Between 1971 and 1975, the Oklahoma institution " was the only community in the state of Oklahoma to ever impose a sales tax on itself for the support of a college." The college changed its name to Seminole State College in 1996 under a plan approved by the Oklahoma governor and state legislature; in doing so it gained the right to bear the name Seminole State College some 13 years before Seminole Community College in Florida changed its name to Seminole State College of Florida. Both schools are named after their campus locations. In the case of the Oklahoma school, its name derives from the city of Seminole, Oklahoma. In the case of the Florida school, the campus' placement in Seminole County, Florida explains the name origin.