How to set up a formal table

Linens and napkins

A formal table should include at least three linens. First, the tablecloth, preferable damask or linen, should cover the table completely, and hang at least 8 inches down from all the edges. Over the tablecloth, place the silence cloth to protect the table from spills and damage. It should be between 2 to 4 inches shorted than the edges of the table. Finally, cover the silence cloth with a covering cloth, which is used for decoration alone. It should be slightly larger than the tablecloth, and in a matching color or decor.

The napkin should always be placed either to the left of the plates, or directly on top of them. A simple yet elegant fold will suffice, after all it's supposed to be used for more than decoration.

Plates and silverware

Be careful not to overcrowd the table. The settings should be spaced at least 12 inches apart, not only for good comfort, but for easier serving as well.

The base plate, which is slightly larger than a regular dinner plate, serves the purpose of centering the individual place settings. Base plates can be made of copper, silver, stainless steel or glass. On top of the base plate goes the plate for the main course, and on top of that, a soup bowl or sallad bowl. Depending on the type of dessert, a fruit plate may be placed on the base plate beforehand.

Silverware should be arranged according to the courses - the utensils to be used first is placed on the outer side, utensils for the last course nearest to the plates. The bases of the utensils should be aligned so that they form a straight line. Knives, always placed on the right side of the plate, should have the blades facing left.

Glasses should be placed on the right side of the plate, behind the utensils. They should be set up in the following order; Water glass, Red wine or white wine glass, liqueur glass, with the next two placed behind the others; champagne glass and cognac glass.