Sara Gilbert is probably best known for her role as cute miserable teenager Darleen in the US sitcom Roseanne.

She was born on January 29th, 1975 as Sara Rebecca Abeles in Santa Monica, CA, to parents Harold and Barbara Abeles. Barbara was previously married to the late Paul Gilbert. At the age of six, when Sara saw her sister Melissa Gilbert on Little House on the Prairie Sara claimed to become an actress, too. Her first TV appearance has been for "Kool Aid" advert in 1983. Some more commercials and an appearance in the CBS movie Calamity Jane led her to adopt the Gilbert family name. She then landed the role as Darleen Connor on Roseanne. She wrote also an episode for the show titled "Don't Make Me Over" and aired on May 5th, 1992.

While Sara's appearance on the show was so important to the producers they arranged the filming schedule to allow her to study at Yale University. She graduated with an arts degree in 1997.

In 1992 she appeared in Poison Ivy with Drew Barrymore. And in 2001 again in Riding in Cars with Boys. She starred in several other minor roles like in that short movie $30 and directed her own short movie Persona Non Grata in 1998.

She also made guest appearances in many TV shows such as The Simpsons where she voiced Laura Powers, who broke Bart's heart, in episode 9F06, "New Kid on the Block". In 2000 she made a cameo appearance in High Fidelity with John Cusack and Jack Black.

Since this thime her TV appearances have been on 24 as Paula Schaeffer and as herself on the Ellen DeGeneres Show.

In 2005 she got the role as Mitchee Arnold in Warner Brothers' sitcom Twins which has been ranked by most fans as awfully written and non-continuous. Meanwhile Sara had a few guest-appearances as Jane Figler in the successful tv show ER.

In 1993 she was nominated for the Emmy award for Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series for her role in Roseanne as well as the Independent Spirit award for Best Supporting Female for her role in Poison Ivy. She was nominated again in 1994 for Outstanding Actress in a Comedy Series for Roseanne.