Flying out was rather uneventful, rather empty airplanes. Followed the San Andreas fault down - its very obvious from the air. San Diego was overcast as I flew in... I've got to go back some day when I have more time. Picture a mountain range if the water level went up 1000 feet. Mountain top islands in a sea of billowing white.

Flying in got there just a few minutes late. Quizro was late too, it all worked out. With Quizro's wonderful sense of direction we eventually got to La Jolla and after a quick brunch, I wandered about the streets looking for a hotel. I can't make too much fun of Quizro's location finding abilities - I wandered for somewhere between 30 min and an hour looking for a place to eventually find it two blocks from where I had brunch.

$120 for one night?! In the kiddy room!? Oh well. It was two blocks (a different direction) from Porkyland and I could find my way back to it without too much trouble.

So, I head off to the beach. Got some pictures of mission style churches (after developing note - I still need more work with architectural photography). Took a look at the Museum of Contemporary Art - they had an 'odd' piece of art that was a plane crash - made me feel real safe. Got some pictures of the ocean - especially waves. A number of pictures of children racing ahead of the waves. Lots of pictures of waves.

Head back, shower out the salt.

Dinner

The quest for alcohol and karaoke:
So, after a bit of Mexican food, we were told of a place that had karaoke at prole's behest. Thought we found one next to the Hard Rock Cafe. So a quick jaunt down to find that the place only had DJs that spun. There are still questions if the spinning is of records, or just around. Wandered back to a micro-brewery and found a table that would fit half of us. Half of us had a drink (I got a glass of Woodbridge white zinfandel) and we had another lead on a different pub - bit quieter. Many were impressed at my ability to chug wine (I'm sorry master brewer of Woodbridge, it really is a good wine, I just didn't have time to enjoy its flavor).

Walking back to various cars, we passed a young girl's softball team to which I made a crude joke about grass and youth. May I blame the buzz? Once again we gazed upon the stuff in the windows of the store. I have a picture of Yurei riding the bronze giraffe. I still want to know what someone would do with an urn that is 5' high and a wooden man that is 2' high.

Arriving at an Irish pub (no karaoke) we sat back and discussed many things. My first glass of wine (above) was downed in 30 seconds, the one there took closer to 2 hours. I wish I knew what it was - not that it matters. It wasn't exceptional, or bad... yes, it was a rose.

There were many conversations. Some of them are not repeatable. They may or may not have included

One of the above was not discussed. None will be admitted too... well, one was - but other than that.

After leavening, headed back to various sleeping establishments. Lost and Found crashed in the other bed.

Got up the next morning. Checked out. Reserved a shuttle to the airport. Shuttle arrives at 5:15, its 11:00... hmm... hum de dum. Lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe - all three waitresses had a nose ring. Finished up the 800 speed film roll, mostly sea life and fountains. Browsed various stores of La Jolla and got some ideas for some things. Had a few Blumenthal moments and picked up some tips (aka post cards) on nature photography. Found an interesting martini glass candle. Killed time. Took a shuttle to the airport and killed some time. Got on the flight that was delayed 10 min.

The flight back I figured might as well shoot the 1000 speed roll. It had been X-rayed on the way south and I wasn't sure if the film was good or not - best to take pictures that I wasn't too attached too. They actually turned out very good - sunset from the airplane window.

Upon arriving at San Francisco, we were in a holding pattern for awhile, things were slow. There were questions if we would actually get diverted to another airport. The landing was the worst I'd ever had - high winds are not fun and feeling a tip-ish thing after landing is a rather harrowing experience. Waiting for the gate the plane (757) was getting noticeably buffeted by the winds while standing completely still!

Got my bag, and it turns out I had missed the chartered bus by ~15 min (plane was rather delayed landing). I had to get back to San Jose to get my car. After waiting for a bit, the 20 other people in similar situations went up to the United desk and asked them when the bus would be there. It was ~9:30 pm. The next bus was to be 11:50.

Now, if you were an airline, and 60% of a flight is delayed, would you hold the plane? If instead it was a bus with (in theory) a more flexible schedule, would you at least get another one quickly? Let me phrase it this way - United sucks! Eventually, some of the group got in another mini-bus and others rented a car. A taxi from SFO to SJC costs $117!!! A group of us (4) found a door to door shuttle that cost $60 for 4 people to the same destination - $15/person. It was better than waiting another 2 hours for the scheduled bus.

Finally at home!

All in all... a good time.

Group photo is on my homenode.