The plane wasn't going anywhere. It had just been delayed for two hours to fix a broken door and now the air conditioning was out. Four rows from the back of the plane we sat with many other people franticly waving the laminated air safety guideline in vain hopes of getting some air circulation and cool air. The temperature was about 90 F, and it was rapidly coming up on midnight.

Sitting around in the airport waiting for a new plane we chatted about sunsets, the northern lights, seasons and other nothings for quite some time. Occasionally in the silence I would catch a glimpse of a smile as her eyes caught mine. Eventually the other plane took off. She slept the entire way, and I tried to write a letter to hand her before we parted ways. My muse only mummered... but never sang.

These words never made it onto the paper I had before me, but still echo within my mind when I think of that far too long flight.

I'm scared. It has been far too long since I walked down a hallway chatting with an attractive young woman. And even longer since it was with someone who was interested in who I am rather than what I am.

When I saw you smile as our eyes met, it sent a shiver down my spine along with butterflies to my stomach. I'm still confused about which emotion to trust - if any.

I half wished for the plane to be delayed for hours more so that I would get the opportunity to spend that time with you. Your smile meant more to me than you realize.

Ashley, you do have a beautiful smile. Best wishes.

Once the plane landed we headed our different ways. No words or goodbyes were exchanged, just a sad smile.

If by some fluke of fortune, if you... Ashley, read this: I was too scared to follow through with anything more than wishing. I hope you will forgive me.