These are entirely yummy and a comforting note to any weekend morning. They are called dreamcakes in my home, and hopefully they will be deemed the same in yours.

What You Need

What You'll Do

Place the sifter in the big bowl. With a fork, fluff the flour before you spoon it in to the cup. Flour has a tendency to compact over time. Lightly fluffing it incorporates air to the flour and makes it, well, fluffy. The result is that you are less likely to have brick-like baked goods.

Scoop the flour in to the cup, level it off and dump it in to the sifter. Follow the same procedure for the half cup of whole wheat flour.

Toss the three tablespoons (and perhaps a smidge more) of brown sugar on top of that. Add level teaspoons of the baking powder and salt.

Sift the contents. If there are small humans in your home, this is a good time to call them for some help. They love working the sifter. Indulge them the sifting duties. Hopefully your bowl is big enough to catch any errant ingredients flung by the impromptu dancing encouraged by the rhythm of the sifter. If not, once they're done, just push the escapees from the kitchen counter in to the bowl. It won't hurt anything.

Thank your assistant, and send them on their way.

Melt the butter. If you're doing it in a microwave, about a minute on a high setting works.

Add the milk. Resist the urge to add the eggs at this point or else you'll cook them. Swish the butter and milk around. Now add your egg(s).

Mix everything together with your favorite whisk until the three ingredients have relinquished their identity and succumbed to the greater good. Pour this on top of the dry stuff in the big bowl. Use a handy spatula to summon the last drops of goodness.

Gently combine the wet and the dry. Fold them together until the flour mixture is just barely wet. A couple of dry clumps are OK. Overmixing will result in a tough pancake. Breathe deeply, mix lightly.

Place the bowl in your fridge while you get out plates, syrup, butter, forks. Make a pot of good coffee. Heat up a griddle or several pans. Chilling the batter a little puffs it up a bit when it hits the hot surface. (I'm sure there is a scientific reason for this, but I'm ashamed I don't know it.) Plop the batter on with a serving spoon or ladle and cook for a few minutes on each side, until a harmonious golden brown.

Note: Because of the whole wheat, the pancakes will necessarily be a couple of shades darker than your common version. Do not be alarmed.

Serve with your choice of toppings and enjoy.

Extra Tidbits

  • Feel free to add blueberries, strawberries or bananas to the uncooked side of the pancake. It's always so satisfying to seal them in when you flip them. I wouldn't add them directly to the batter unless you want mush.
  • Separate the egg(s) before you add them to the milk and butter. Place only the yolks in to the mixture and continue as stated. Beat the white(s) until foamy and almost stiff. Once the wet and the dry are just barely combined, fold them in. Experience more volume and a delightfully compliant crust. Sure, it's a little extra work, but what better way to show your love.