On weekends, there's a show on MSNBC called “Lock-up”; it's a prison documentary series, and some of my favorite episodes focus on food.

Besides the regular meals that prisons serve, inmates can also purchase food items; it's amazing what they manage to put together, with just the stuff they buy from the canteen. The prisoners call them “slams”, I'm guessing because they take some of this and some of that, and slam it together.

Technically speaking, this recipe isn't a slam; it reminds me of one, though. It's a lowbrow little treat, made with refrigerated crescent roll dough.

It's delicious, whatever you call it.

And truth be known, I like slammin' those Pillsbury cans on the counter edge, and watchin' 'em pop open.

 

Apple Dumpling Slams

 

2 whole Granny Smith apples

2  8 oz. cans crescent rolls

2 sticks of butter

1 1/2 cups of sugar

1 tsp. vanilla

Cinnamon, to taste

1  12-oz. can of either Sprite, 7-Up or Mountain Dew

 

Peel and core apples. Cut each apple into eight slices. Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll. Place in a 9x13 buttered pan.

Melt butter, then add sugar, and barely stir. Add vanilla, stir just a little, and pour over apples. Pour your Sprite, 7-Up or Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan. Sprinkle cinnamon to taste. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Serve with ice cream, and pour some of the sweet sauces from the pan over the top.