Demonyms > Demonyms of the Solar System
The Solar System is big. Really big. Fortunately for the demonymographer, however, only one of its planets is known to be inhabited. Solarians may or may not be referred to by several other names throughout the
universe, some of which may or may not be pejorative, annoying, or insulting.
The list below is provided for completeness only, and intends no disrespect to anyone. Words in emphasis are Latin.
Other Names -
Planets, Moons, and other bodies
Saturn - Saturnian
Uranus - Uranian
Neptune - Neptunian
Pluto - Plutonian, Hadean
Sedna (not officially a planet) - Sednan
- The Sun (Sol) - Solarian, Solar (adjective)
- Mercury - Mercurian, Hermian, Mercurial (adjective)
- Venus - Venusian, Venutian, Cytherean (adjective), Venerian (adjective)
- Earth (Terra), the World - Terran, terrestrial (adjective), telluric (adjective), earthling, Man (sexist), human, man-animal (pejorative), earther, earthworm (non-space traveler from Earth, possibly offensive), flatlander
- Mars - Martian, Arean, dark and golden eyed
- Asteroid Belt - Belter
- Jupiter - Jovian
Back to Demonyms
I do not pretend that this is a complete list as far as
demonyms go. If you know other names (formal, informal, pejorative, or otherwise) for planets, moons, or other designations, please
Apologies to in10se for mocking the Demonyms idea.