We cleaned the rest of my grandmother's house out yesterday and we now have her recipe box. (YAY!) She was an excellent cook and many of the things she made I have never had anywhere but out of her kitchen. This was one of her "Friday Fish" dishes. Something that all the good Catholics were in the habit of having back in the day. (Which, by the by, I can't seem to find any nodes about not eating meat on Friday's in the collective memory that is E2, so if anyone knows of any please let me know so I can link to it.) I was always big on fish as a child and looked forward to Fridays immensely for just that reason. Appreciation of fish and other types of seafood, I believe, not being the norm for most kids. (aside from fishsticks, which don't count)

Anyway, try it, it's good stuff.....

Squid Salad
serves: 8

Get This:
Salt, preferably coarse sea salt
2 lbs cleaned squid, with tentacles
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 cup seeded and chopped plum tomatoes
4 cloves garlic
1/4 cup minced cilantro
1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped finely
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp minced jalapeno
8 lettuce leaves
1/2 lemon, juiced
8 lime wedges

Do This:
1.Fill a largish sauce pan (one that holds approx. 4 quarts) with water within a few inches of the top and bring to a rolling boil. Add a good pinch of salt.
2. Meanwhile, back at the ranch... I mean whilst the water is boiling...cut the squid crosswise into 1 inch pieces. If the tentacles are small leave them whole.
3. Add the squid to the pot and cook about 1 minute or till the edges start to curl.

**It is very important not to overcook squid or any other seafood for that matter. Especially shellfish like clams, oysters, shrimp and the like. Doing so will very quickly turn your fish into a rubbery bland mess instead of the soft, delicate tasting treat that it should be. That said....

4. Drain. Place squid in a lorge bowl and let cool.
5. Add the onions, tomatoes, garlic, clantro, lemon juice, olive oil and jalapeno to the squid. Stir to combine. Add salt to taste and let stand 15 minutes to let the flavors meld.
6. Serve salad on the lettuce leaves garnished with the lime slices and maybe a few sprigs of oregano.

mmm mmm gooooooood
\m/_ _\m/