MMMMMM....Comfort food. This is one of those great garbage meals. Meaning, a good way clean out your veggie drawer if you have things that need to be used up. Hamster bong and I made this last night for her family. It went over well, which is saying something if you know hamster bong's finicky family. You can use pretty much any veggies you have handy. Those listed in the following recipe were simply the ones that were hangin' out round here last night. In the same vein, you may also substitute whatever herbs you have in your cupboard in lieu of what we used. It's pretty forgiving that way and just depends on your personal taste. Hamster bong attests that to really do this right you need a gigantic wooden mixing spoon measuring at least a foot and a half long with the spoon part being a good 5 or 6 inches, but again, that's really up to you.

Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuit Topping
serves: 6-8

The Goods:

    Biscuit Topping:
  • 3 c all purpose flour (plus extra for rolling out dough)
  • 3 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp dill
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 6 tbsp cold butter
  • 1 1/4 c milk
  • 1 egg

Execute:

    Filling: 1. Poach Chicken for 30 minutes in salted boiling water.
    2. Boil potatoes for 15 minutes.
    3. Drain chicken and potatoes. Cut chicken into bite sized pieces and place both into a large casserole dish and set aside.
    4. Heat oil in a dutch oven or a large pot and sweat vegetable mix, onion, herbs and salt and pepper till onions are transclucent (5-8 minutes)
    5. Whisk flour, milk, and water together till lumps are gone and add to vegetables. Stir till combined.
    6. Transfer to casserole dish on top of chicken and potatoes and set aside.

    Biscuit Topping: 1. Stir flour,baking powder, herbs, salt and pepper together in a mixing bowl.
    2. Cut cold butter into pieces and mix into flour with hands till you get a crumbly texture.
    3. Pour in cold milk and stir just enought o bring it all together.
    4. Mold it into a ball, cover it and let rest in fridge for 10 minutes.

    Assembly: 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
    2. Roll out biscuit dough to approx 3/4 of an inch thick and cut into 3 inch circles or squares and arrange atop the filling in the casserole dish.
    3. Whisk egg and brush over top of dough to give it a nice brown glaze.
    4. Bake 30 minutes or until Biscuit is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
    ENJOY!