I think I experienced the first memorably terrifying dream that I've had in a long while last night. It's been a long time since that last happened, and I don't miss it.

In the dream, I came to completely disoriented but aware of a terrible pain. I managed to pull myself up, noting that my legs weren't really working, and took as much of a look at myself as I could. My calves and shins were cut to pieces - nasty, crescent-shaped ragged tears going all the way to bone. I couldn't feel my feet at all. It didn't take me long to realize my arms weren't much better off. The most striking thing was the lack of blood. A few drops, here and there, but not much else. As I looked around I came to realize that I wasn't quite alone - there were a few others in the room with me, in similarly awful shape, mostly children, many with horrific facial injuries. (And that's a serious squick-source for me - facial wounds make me cringe) I remember that making me more angry than sad - what kind of subhuman monster would carve up innocent children like that? Despite my own condition right then I wanted whomever was responsible for this to FUCKING DIE.

I tried to drag myself toward one of the kids, but my legs were at least partially frozen to the floor, and I tore a piece off while trying to move. I saw red, screamed and collapsed to the cold steel floor, and just lay there crying for what felt like forever, before I heard gunfire coming from outside the room. About then two soldiers, probably German judging by their uniforms and weapons, burst in. I was then awakened by some rather earth-shaking flatulence from the bunk on the other side of me, and sat bolt upright in my rack, drenched in sweat and half-crying, but thankfully intact.

I have no idea what the fuck prompted that dream or what it meant. I seldom have violent dreams, and when I do it's usually the Big Damn Heroes getting one over on the bad guys. Of course, perhaps that's who the German soldiers were. It was downright freaky, though. I don't think I've ever had a dream where I felt that helpless, or was in that much pain, either. I certainly hope this doesn't happen again...