Perhaps I will feel better about the state of medicine and corporate fraud preying on the poor and elderly and disabled in the United States, if I pay my bills as I am paid: let's think about that.

I go to the grocery store and ask for a subtotal print out of the receipt before I pay. I look at it carefully. "I think that one sku number is incorrect. I am returning the bill for you to correct. Meanwhile I am taking the groceries. Please mail the corrected bill to me and I will check it and respond within 6 weeks. Thank you." I smile and leave.

I look at my electric bill. My name is misspelled. I write a note. "Your bill is incorrect. Please correct it so that I can pay you promptly." I mail it.

I look at my garbage and water bill. My ex-husband's name is still on it. "Mr. Lizard is not at this address. Here is his forwarding address. Thank you."

I carefully examine my gasoline bill at the pump. I step inside and explain: "I think that your pump dispensed 0.3 oz less then the reported amount. I have an exacto fuel measuring device on my car, and your pump is wrong. Please mail me a corrected bill so that I can pay you promptly."

There. I have no more bills to pay. I eat lunch, happy that I will be earning interest on the pittance that I am paid.

Thank you, United States corporations: you have taught me so much.