I have a cold. Today I want to describe it as "a terrible cold" but really, it isn't. My mother would say "a terrible cold" rather gleefully, enjoying the drama.

Yesterday and Saturday made the cold rather worse.

Our chorus performed Saturday and Sunday.

We start with a string quartet and a piano on stage and the chorus, about 30 of us.

We sing the first without the quartet, just with piano: The Soul’s Own Speech – Andrea Ramsey:

Then two by Morten Lauridsen, together.
Prayer
Sure On This Shining Night

Now the quartet lift their bows. Ola Gieilo.
It starts with the cello, alone, and again, seems like another gentle piece. But then it builds and explodes: Luminous night of the soul

The audience is hooked. Now what? The chorus sits, and the piano is removed, and stands and chairs are brought on stage. The orchestra comes on, three trombones, the strings, two bassoons, two english horn players.

The hall lights are turned off.

The strings and the plodding, grieving walk of the bassoon and english horn start the Mozart Requiem.

We are in a high school auditorium, seats 400, nearly full for both concerts. The hall is a bit cold and not luxurious. But we and our audience are transported. I am so glad my voice lasted. I saved it both days, wrapped in a soft wool scarf and fed cold calm and warm water and rest.

And in other news, I've been dating someone since January. Rather by accident. And it's a lovely cliche, ha, here I am, a doctor dating a nurse..... He's not too worried by the role reversal.