Shahjahan's Revolt marks another episode of the intra-familial strife that characterised the reign of Mughal Emperor Jahangir.

When the Persian Shah Abbas I made a second attempt to seize Kandahar from the Mughal Empire, in 1622 (the first, in 1605, had failed), Emperor Jahangir sent his son, Crown Prince Khurram (better known as Shahjahan) to take charge of an army from the Deccan and lead it against Abbas in Afghanistan.

Khurram, however, had other plans. Aware of his father's ailing health (Jahangir was notorious for his abuse of alcohol and opium) and the intrigues of the Empress, Nur Jahan, against him, he was unwilling to move too far from Delhi and his power base. Thus, Khurram did not order his army to march. Instead, he procrastinated, sending his father messages explaining the need to wait for the end of the monsoon season.

Nur Jahan, viewing his delays as rebellion, managed to persuade Jahangir to view them the same way. The errant prince was given a severe reprimand. In 1623, Khurram's army finally marched. However, the route of march was not, as planned, toward Kandahar. Instead, the army headed for Agra. Along the way, Khurram tried, unsuccessfully, to seize the city of Fatehpur Sikri, and had to retreat into the Deccan.

Under the command of General Mahabat Khan (who was later, in 1627, to rebel against the Empress, in the war known as Mahabat Khan's Insurrection), an imperial army chased Khurram, forcing him to retreat into Bengal, and then back into the Deccan.

Finally, in 1626, Khurram was at the end of his tether. His forces were exhausted and defeated, and he had no choice but to surrender. Yielding completely to his father's wishes, he was, surprisingly, forgiven. Jahangir, possibly feeling the approach of his death (which was to occur the following year), let bygones be bygones, and made Khurram governor of Balaghat in the Deccan.