(also: Julius Andrássy)

1) Hungarian nobleman and statesman. Father of Gyula Andrássy (2). Born 1823, died 1890.

In 1848, Count Andrássy joined the movement for Hungarian independence from Austria. In 1849, he was appointed the emissary to Istanbul of the self-declared indpendent Hungary. When the Hungarian uprising was put down by Austro-Hungarian imperial forces, he was sentenced to death in absentia, but managed to make good his escape to Paris.

After years of exile, he was pardoned in 1857, and returned to Hungary in 1858, where he worked towards reconciliation with Austria.

From 1867 to 1879 Count Andrassy was prime minister of Hungary, and it was in this capacity that he helped to engineer the Ausgleich, the 1867 compromise that finally made Hungary an equal partner in the double monarchy of Austria-Hungary. From 1871 to 1879 he also held the additional post of foreign minister for Austria-Hungary.

In 1878, he ensured Austria-Hungary's status as a great power of Europe with the occupation of Bosnia and Herzegovina after the Congress of Berlin.


2) Hungarian nobleman and politician. Son of Gyula Andrássy (1). Born 1860, died 1929.

The younger Andrássy was, from 1885, a member of the Hungarian parliament. From 1894, he served as a cabinet minister. As minister of the interior from 1906 to 1910, he fought the labour movement, and prevented the introduction of the secret ballot into the electoral system.

In 1918, Andrássy was the final foreign minister of Austria-Hungary, participating in this capacity in the peace negotiations following World War I.

In 1921, he led the royalist faction that supported the attempted coup of Charles IV (Charles I of Austria). After the coup failed, Andrássy spent some months in jail.