Between 229 and 222 BC, Qin Shihuangdi (known at the time as King Cheng of Ch'in province, or the 'Tiger of Ch'in'), renowned to be 'humble when times were difficult, swallowing men whole when times were good', used mounted troops with crossbows to attack each of the six kingdoms, which he soon controlled. He declared himself Qin Shihuangdi (or Ch'in Shih Huang Ti), First Emperor, and divided the old states of the federacy into prefectures and districts. To quell unrest he moved 120,000 of the most influential families in his realm to his capital city, Hsienyang (Xinyang) where he had a palace with walls 70 miles in circumference and 270 pavilions (he slept in a different one each night to throw off the attempts of any would-be assassin), each connected by secret passageways.

While being widely known as the Overlord who ordered the construction of The Great Wall of China which reportedly took one million lives to build, his greatest project was even more extreme and telling, namely his attempt to eradicate all history under his new realm. He longed to be the founder of his Empire, not just its leader, so in 213 BC, just years before he passed away, he ordered (on pain of slavery at building The Great Wall, that's where much of the labor came from) the public destruction of every book, scroll or written page in China, save one copy of each, which would belong to him exclusively and with which he would be entombed. He is also have said to have burned alive 460 Confucian historians in his attempt to annhilate China's history before his rule. The idea being if all knowledge and record of the past were erased, then history itself would begin with him.

Not until sixty years after his death did the historical record begin to be restored, even then a great deal was lost.1 It became the tradition of generations of indignant Chinese scholars to 'befoul the Emperor's grave', which has over the past ten years slowly begun to be uncovered (Qin Shihuangdi's body, according to legend, floats atop a giant pool of mercury within the giant hill-sized tomb; apparently one of the clues to its discovery was mercury poisoning among local villagers).
Sources:
Jorge Luis Borges, "The Wall and The Books", A Personal Anthology (1967)
Cotterell, A. The First Emperor of China (NY : 1981)
Ding & Bloodworth. The Chinese Machiavelli (London : 1976)
Macintosh, A. "The First Emperor", The Infinite in the finite (Oxford : 1995)
Notes:
1. Later, Emperor Lin-ti (172 AD) wanting to prevent such a cataclysm from ever being possible again, began to have many Confucian classics and histories carved into 8ft. tablets before the National College, until the public found out the cost at which this was being done and they smashed the tablets in protest. (fr. Drogan, M. Biblioclasm (1989, Littlefield, MD)