10 a.m. Sunday morning, Missoula Montana.

The day before was a grueling 1000 mile march with the final leg occurring under the cover of darkness, clawing up the Bitterroot Mountains, and seeing only what the headlights show.

But that was yesterday

After a hearty breakfast in a smoke filled 24 hour bar with guns and barbed wire adorning the walls, we climb into our respective vehicles and head down the other side of the mountains we climbed in the night.

The sun is brilliant, the sky is blue, and the air is sweet with the smell of ancient deciduous pine.

Lolo Pass

Some 100 miles of switchback road easing you down out of the mountains at 35 to 40 miles an hour to drop you off at the banks of the Clearwater River.

My eyes and hands were plenty occupied with the descent, so what I listened to was the entire album that track 2 appears on, with a few repetitions of said track, but had I the foresight or dexterity, the following song list is what I would have preferred…

You don’t have to drive down a mountain to appreciate it, but it helps if you are driving west with no plans of ever going home again….

  1. Revolting Cocks – Hellocoptor
  2. Material – The Western Lands (extended mix)
  3. The Chameleons UK – The Healer
  4. Peter Gabriel – Solsbury Hill
  5. Yo La Tengo – You Can Have It All
  6. Bjork – Hyperballad (fluke Mix)
  7. Mark Burgess and the Sons of God – The Great Adventure
  8. The Smiths – A Rush And A Push And The Land That We Stand On Is Ours
  9. Johnny Cash - Rusty Cage
  10. Buck65 – Untitled
  11. The Wonder Stuff – Here Comes Every One
  12. Peter Murphy You're So Close
  13. Peter Gabriel – Bread And Wine

just another hour of your weekend sound track
back ~forth