The Leeds Festival is an annual music festival that takes placed in Leeds, England. It happens on the bank holiday weekend in August.
It is a strongly rock-oriented festival. The festival will typically have the following stages:-
- Main stage (major rock/indie acts)
- Radio 1 stage (breakthrough acts)
- Carling stage (emerging acts)
- Concrete jungle stage (underground punk/hardcore acts)
- Dance tent
- Comedy tent
The festival started out in 1999, being spawned as a northern sister of the Reading Festival, and has ran ever since. It started out at Temple Newsham, but moved to its current location of Bramham Park in 2003, after complaints from residents and large-scale disturbances.
On the final night of the 2002 event, after the Foo Fighters had left the main stage, number of individuals caused fairly extensive damage to portaloos and other items of festival equipment. This put the festival's future in jeopardy, although the license to go ahead for 2003 was finally granted, after promises of much-increased security and non-combustible toilets.
List of Headliners
- 2004: The Darkness, The Offspring, The White Stripes, Morrissey, Green Day, 50 Cent
- 2003: Blink 182, Blur, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, Metallica, Linkin Park, System of a Down
- 2002: Foo Fighters, Guns N Roses, Muse, The Offspring, Pulp, Prodigy, The Strokes
- 2001: Eminem, Fun Lovin' Criminals, Green Day, Manic Street Preachers, Marilyn Manson, Travis
- 2000: Oasis, Primal Scream, Pulp, Beck, Stereophonics, Placebo
- 1999: Apollo 440, The Chemical Brothers, Reef, Fun Lovin' Criminals, Blur, The Divine Comedy, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Pitchshifter, The Offspring