There is actually a National American Dodgeball Association. Tournaments are held regularly in Schaumburg, Illinois - both indoor and outdoor. Dodgeball has been banned in some school districts and many more are contemplating banning it. The rationale is: "Dodge ball is one of those games that encourages aggression and the strong picking on the weak." I prefer the game as described by Bathail - that's the way we played 30 years ago in elementary school.

The following is an abbreviated version of the rules printed in the Official NADA Rule Book:

THE TEAM Teams will be made up of 6-10 players. A minimum of 6 players will compete on a side; others will be available as substitutes. Substitutes may enter the game only during timeouts or in the case of injury.

THE FIELD The game may be played indoors or outdoors. The playing field shall be a rectangle at least 50 ft long and at least 30 ft wide, divided into two (2) equal sections by a center boundary line.

THE EQUIPMENT
The official ball used in tournament and league play will be an 8" rubber-coated foam ball. Participants must wear shoes. No metal cleats will be allowed.

THE GAME
The object of the game is to eliminate all opposing players by getting them "OUT". This may be done by:

1. Hitting an opposing player with a thrown ball below the shoulders.
2. Catching a ball thrown by your opponent before it touches the ground.
Game begins by placing the dodgeballs along the center line. Players then take a position behind their end line. Following a signal by the official, teams may approach the centerline to retrieve the balls. This signal officially starts the contest.

The first team to legally eliminate all opposing players will be declared the winner. A 10-minute time limit has been established for each contest. If neither team has been eliminated at the end of the 10 minutes, the team with the greater number of players remaining will be declared the winner. In the case of an equal number of players remaining after regulation, a 3-minute sudden-death overtime period will be played.

TIME-OUTS & SUBSTITUTIONS
Each team will be allowed one (1) 60 second timeout per game. At this time a team may substitute players into the game.

RULE ENFORCEMENT
Rules will be enforced primarily by the "honor system"*. Players will be expected to rule whether or not a hit was legal or whether they were legally eliminated. All contests will be supervised by a field monitor*. The field monitor's responsibility will be to rule on any situation in which teams cannot agree. THE FIELD MONITOR'S DECISION IS FINAL - NO EXCEPTIONS.

*Exception: During tournament play, All Semi-Final and Final Round matches will be officiated by no less than three (3) N.A.D.A. Officials. These officials will rule on all legal hits, out-of-bounds and 5-second violations.
BOUNDARIES
During play, all players must remain within the boundary lines. Players may leave the boundaries only to retrieve stray balls.

MATCH PLAY
Matches will be decided using a "best-of-three" format in which the first team to win two (2) games will be declared the winner.

PROTESTS
Protests will only be accepted in cases involving use of an ineligible player. Protests of judgment calls will not be accepted.

N.A.D.A. Code of Conduct
1. Understand, appreciate and abide by the rules of the game.
2. Respect the integrity and judgment of game officials and N.A.D.A staff.
3. Respect your opponent and congratulate them in a courteous manner following each match whether in victory or defeat.
4. Be responsible for your actions and maintain self-control.
5. Do not taunt or bait opponents and refrain from using foul or abusive language.
http://www.dodgeballusa.com/index.html