Birthday at O'Kelly's, Gzira

Twenty-third birthday was celebrated at O'Kelly's in Gzira last Friday night and boy did we have a good pissed-up time. Even though I am practically knee deep in thesis thesis thesis I needed some sort of outlet. To blow off some steam.I had warned my friends not to bring presents and spend their student wages on alcohol instead - combine that with an Irish bar atmosphere, a beautiful view of the Grand Harbour... good friends, a sometimes shirtless singer-songwriter... well, all in all it was damn good clean fun.

"Angie, I'm going to pay you now for the cakes..."

It was a good thing I did because the party soon became a blur of my beer of choice for the evening, laughter, porn star names and music.

"I'll only sing if he asks me THREE TIMES!"

00 00

By this time, speaking full sentences had become a total impossibility. Articles escaped me. I was nevertheless understood by Piero, who works for O' Kelly's. "Don't worry - She's been talking like this all night. I've mastered my understanding of it." There never was a better bartender! An epic video was taken by my good friend Kirsten who asked about my choice of outfit.

"Top. Pri schoose top. PRI!" and I gesture franctically to my friend Priscilla.
"Skirt." Our heroine continues. "Present. Sister present."

"And the shoes?"

"Shoes. OLD shoes. Hurt feet".

00 30

It was time to cut the cake. I dragged along Angie, who also works at O'Kelly's and whose first two letters are the same as mine hence "Happy birthday to An." Our man behind the mike, found the coincidence to be quite amusing but I then instructed him to sing "Happy birthday to TWO!"

"To two?"

"To TWO"

Suddenly, a tray of shooters came out of nowhere, courtesy of the management!

The afterparty

Annie. Drunk. Poof. Fall over. Sofas.

Most of the bar's patrons started fizzling away. I guess they lost interest when i stopped dancing like an Egyptian. My sobre friends headed of to Gianpula while the rest of us flopped down on the sofas. One of the owners of the place started showing off his card tricks. And for some reason, Musician and I were inclined towards displayng our mastery of a certain scene from When Harry Met Sally. Yes, we are both attention-whores. Later, afore mentioned Musician was getting comfy with one of my thesis partners. You will by now have realised that I prone to whoring off my teaser friends in exchange for free jamming lessons with the entertainment.

I got to meet most of the people who run this kooky establishment - although O'Kelly's has only been open for six months, it now boasts a dedicated dining area, a big screen room and a beautiful roof deck... which will host a brand new hot tub in the coming weeks!

A great night overall. Thanks to everyone who made it possible.