Scorched Earth is the name of a little-known rock band, possibly little-known because they never released any music or had a gig anywhere. They formed in June 1997 when Rob the drummer, Baz the guitarist and Jim the bassist got together to play their instruments together for the first time, and immediately hit it off. For a number of months the band was known as VI, short for Virtual Intercourse (long story, don't ask) until drummer Rob came up with the name Scorched Earth.

Band practice was said to have generally consisted of playing a Nirvana song badly in the bassist's bedroom, going downstairs to eat almost all the food in his fridge (especially the edam cheese), playing one more song, then either having a big punch-up in the back garden or drinking and watching TV. That was until Baz and Jim decided it would be a good idea for the band to burn a CD, at which point Rob the drummer pointed out that they were crap and needed to write a decent song first. Then of course in order to play satisfactorily they needed to get a rhythm guitarist and a charismatic singer for a frontman. Thus were big plans drawn up for the worldwide success of Scorched Earth.

These they set about carrying out, and it was all on the verge of happening toward the end of 1998 when the bassist decided to move out, putting an immediate stop to band practice. To fund this endeavour, he also sold the drum kit which belonged to him and which, unfortunately, happened to be the only drum kit the band had. Then the guitarist went off and got married, had a kid and moved away. The only remaining member was the drummer with no drums. They never burned a CD.

The only way I got to hear of this obscure bunch of losers was because I am Rob the drummer, and I'm not too optimistic about a comeback any time soon.