yields 3 10" layers
4-5 ripe bananas
1 cup sucanat (available in health-food stores)
1 cup honey
1 cup canola oil
3 large eggs, separated
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 cup hot water
1 cup walnuts, chopped
3 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
21/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350. Spray 3 10" cake pans.
- With an electric mixer, cream the banana, sucanat, honey, and canola oil. Add the egg yolks and the vanilla.
- Comine the dry ingredients in a large bowl and add to the banana mixture alternately with the water, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Beat the egg whites stuff, but not dry, and fold them into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans, smooth the top, and bake for 30 minutes or until the cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan and a tester comes out clean. Cool on a rack and frost with Honey Meringue Frosting.
per serving: 482 calories, 11 g total fat, 35 mg cholsterol, 405 mg sodium, 96 g carb, 7 g protein
from Josie's restaurant, NYC