In Aztec mythology, Ehecatl was one of the aspects of Quetzalcoatl, most often referred to as the wind god. Ehecatl is the aspect invoked in reference to celestial occasions and creation myths, with no specific terrestrial associations. He represents life freed from matter. When Hernando Cortes was mistaken for Quetzalcoatl, it was not in the guise of Ehecatl.

The first story revolving around the Ehecatl form tells of the bringing of love to mankind. After all the plants of the earth had been created to sustain men, the wind god realized that life could never endure without a higher principle to cling to, and resolved to find a maiden to love. He found her in Mayahuel, who was one of a sleeping company watched over by the ancient Tzitzimitl, who favored intertia, unchangingness, and the status quo.

Ehecatl awoke Mayahuel and convinced her to come to earth with him, thus rousing the dormant forces of love. As they touched down on earth, a two-fold tree sprang up in their place: willow for Ehecatl and flowers for Mayahuel.

Meanwhile, Tzitzimitl awoke, discovered Mayahuel's absence, and was livid with anger. She gathered an army of gods and followed the couple to earth, where she split apart the tree that had grown up, destroying the flowery part but leaving the willow untouched. This was merely an impotent act of rage, for love had already been released upon mankind.

When the army retreated to heaven, Ehecatl changed back into a god, gathered up the broken pieces of Mayahuel, and buried them. At that place grew a plant which produced white wine.

Music was also brought to earth by Quetzalcoatl in the guise of Ehecatl. The whole thing was actually Tezcatlipoca's idea. He called the wind to him and explained that music was another one of those ephemeral values without which life would not exist as it should. So Ehecatl wove a bridge that would take him to the sun, where all the musicians danced and played: white for lullabies, red for love and war, blue for clouds, and yellow for flutes.

The Sun didn't want to lose any of his musicians, so he told them to be quiet and not say anything to Ehecatl when he came, for if they spoke they could be taken. Sure enough, no matter how Ehecatl convinced, begged, and wheedled, the musicians said not a word, and could not be pried from the sun.

Tezcatlipoca was pissed. He roared, assaulting the sun with thunder and lightening. The musicians were so afraid that they fled to shelter in the Wind's lap. Ehecatl/Quetzalcoatl wafted the musicians down to earth, and life was all music from that time on.