Ulala is the heroine of Sega dancing games Space Channel 5 and Space Channel 5 Part 2. She was born on May 30, 2477 at 1:18am. Her zodiac sign is Gemini. Her blood type is B, and her planet of origin is Earth.

According to the Space Channel 5 manual, her mother is from a small country in East Nippon. Her name was given to express the tone of this country.

Her favorite hobby is dancing. She hosts a show on Space Channel 5 entitled Ulala's Swingin' Report Show in which she goes on location to various high-danger areas and frequently is forced to rescue hostages by dancing and shooting her ray guns. Her director's name is Fuse, and he is in constant contact with Ulala via a two-way headset, though he is never seen -- he prefers to remain aboard the broadcast starship Astrobeat. She also has assistance in the form of the young Channel 5 intern, Noise-kun, who pilots the smaller Astrobeat Jr. and plays the drums with a degree of expertise.

She has in the past faced off against the Morolians, a group of melodious but easily mind-controlled aliens, only to discover that they were being controlled by the Channel 5 CEO, Chief Blank. After this, Space Michael became the CEO of Channel 5. In more recent times she defeated Purge, a jealous, genius IQ fan who created devices to force people to watch his own pirate TV show and dance.

Her closest allies are Michael Jackson, Eastern Galaxy Space Police Ranger Pine, Pirate TV News Reporter Jaguar, and her sometimes rival/sometimes ally from Channel 42, Pudding.

Her voice actress in Japan is Nazu Nahoko. In English, Ulala is voiced by self-proclaimed "live action anime girl" Apollo Smile.

Her character design owes a large degree of homage to 1960s science fiction kitsch.