The Indiana Memorial Union, or IMU
, is a 500,000 square foot multi-purpose building
in the heart of the campus of Indiana University
in Bloomington, Indiana
. The Union, as it is known as around campus, is one of the largest such buildings in the world. Among it's seemingly endless list of attractions is a movie theatre
, a full service hotel
, a 12-lane bowling alley
, restaurants ranging from a Burger King
to upscale dining in the Tudor Room
, a plethora of all-purpose meeting and conference rooms, and a large collection of art
The IMU traces its origins back to 1909 and conflicts between all sorts of students, from Fraternity members to underclassmen, that led Class of 1911's John Whittenberger to establish a Student Union to help to change the hostile climate.
The Union (and its Union Board), with the assistance of President William Lowe Bryan, sponsored many campus activities in their early years.
In the 1920s a fund drive raised money for the construction of a Union Building, which was completed in 1932 and was formally dedicated at Commencement, June 13, 1932, to "the sons and daughters of Indiana University who had served in the wars of the Republic." thus becoming the Indiana Memorial Union.
The Union Board was and continues to be a group of student and faculty that oversees the mission of the Union. Women were first allowed to serve on the board in 1952.
The IMU has undergone several expansions and renovations, most notably in 1960 and 1986.
Indiana Memorial Union History. http://www.imu.indiana.edu/about_the_imu/history.html. Indiana University.