Sad, sometimes.

My dad had his 50th birthday yesterday. Although a bit hesitant, I did appear at his party; it's not that we're not talking or anything, mostly I just don't see him after the divorce much. I don't like parties that much anyways, but I figured that 50% common genes obliges. He had his party at his mother's old summer home, back when they still lived in some semblance of a nomadic life as reindeer herders. Well, I don't know how much my father actually lived that, but I do have this BW photo of him as four-year-old, with his four brothers and two parents, in a setting which seems to be a some sort of sami tent. Well, anyways. Nowadays the summer home, 'Heikkilä', is pretty much abandoned except for occasional visits such as this one. No electricity, heating or other connections to outside world beyond GSM phones. Mmm.

The party itself was for me, like all parties, a drag. My little brother came along too but he wasn't much fun, supposing I wasn't too interested in throwing a sharpened stick as far as I could, so I just grabbed my book and spent some 5 hours eating salted fish sandwiches and reading about evolution (The Selfish Gene). Joy.

When we got back, my mother was at home. Unsurprisingly, she did what mothers generally do and asked how it went. Moreover, she proceeded to question us (mostly me) about various aspects of the party. She seemed especially interested in hearing how many and who were there. I couldn't help but to wonder; my guess would be she didn't feel too happy to be excluded from her former husband's birthday, though the divorce wasn't a particularly happy one. Somehow I felt bad for her, though I couldn't really know if I imagined the whole bussiness, so I understated how utterly bored I was there, which wasn't untrue. Still, it made me a little sad, so I stalked upstairs to watch TV soon. Before that, however, my little brother's friend came over (it was 21:00). I was told, before he came, that my mother had seen him wandering about the village, and he'd asked her if my little brother had come. Apparently, the friend's family too had had a noisy fight and he needed a place to stay overnight. I found that, too, a bit depressing. Such is life, I suppose...

Well, I missed the gigasecond, by 12 hours. Well, I wasn't exactly excited about 6.3*10^10 seconds since assumed birthtime of a carpenter, and neither was I shaken by this. Ah well.

It seems I'm growing less and less internet in the internet. One'd think I found a life, but it's not that -- I simply can't get excited about this crap like I used to. I need a new hobby, I think...