Living in the Mall
I was living with a group of people that had turned a department store at the mall into their living space. The parking lot was sometimes paved, and sometimes it was a shallow backwater of a river. I was outside swimming in the water and could feel the mud on the bottom. I knew if I went farther from the building, the water would get deeper. There was a submarine in the water with me somehow, with its periscope up.

The Remote Control


I Was driving all over looking for something, but I couldn't find it. As I was walking back to my car from a store, I passed a sign that said "Oatley Pawn" (damn it, Stephen King!). I thought that a pawn shop might have what I was looking for, so I followed the sign. I had to go through a gate in some tall chain-link fence, and then up a set of covered wooden steps on the outside of a building. As I opened the gate, my sister was telling me that she didn't want me to go up there. I went anyway, and the stairs were wobbly and felt like they were going to fall apart. When I got to the top, there was a bridge that went over the space between the buildings, but it turned out to be only decorative, because there was no clearance between the ceiling and floor. With this new piece of information, I could tell I had taken the wrong stair, so I turned around and started down the stair. On the the way down, stashed in a support for the roof of the stairway, I found a set of car keys, and a "Remote Control Unit", that looked like it was part of the original equipment of a car. It looked like the Unit could drive the car, and other cool stuff. It wasn't what I was looking for, but I thought it was good enough. I started walking to the parking lot, with every intention of finding the car it belonged to, but when I got there, my dad walked up and asked me what I was doing. I told him what I thought it was, and where I found it. I told him I was thinking of taking it to the police, and he said he was just glad I told him.