copyright Laura Numeroff 1985. HarperCollins. 32 pgs. children's picture book. ages 4-7.


This is Laura's tenth book for children, and by far her most popular. It was turned down by nine publishers before HarperCollins got wise and bought it.

If a hungry mouse knocks on your door, you might give him a cookie. But if you give him a cookie, he's going to want a glass of milk. But if you give him a glass of milk, he might need to look in a mirror to make sure he doesn't have a milk mustache . . . he might then notice that he needs a trim . . . he might have to borrow the scissors . . .

It's a cute story (cute without being hateful), illustrated well by Felicia Bond. Most of the funniest bits are in the pictures, which show a little boy being progressively run ragged by the escalating demands of the mouse.

This book was born on a long, boring car trip. Laura was trying to make a friend laugh by telling a silly story, and by the time they got to Oregon, she'd written the book.

Laura visits classrooms all over the country, and the kids always want to hear this book. Sometimes she warns them that she may make a mistake or two while reading, and that they should please let her know if she screws it up. Then she says something like "If you give a mouse a banana. . . "   - and the kids howl.

There's also a song, "Doin' the Mouse Cookie," as well as an accompanying dance. No word on what that involves.


thanks to:
http://www.eforest.com/numeroff_bio.html
www.amazon.com