The concept of a relationship over the internet isn't going to go away, unfortunately. In my opinion, it dwells on the outer fringes of insanity to think that two people that are potentially thousands of miles apart who have never spent any realistic amount of time looking each other in the eyes, or spending REAL time together can actually profess romantic love with one another.

Call me old-fashioned, but how can one really know that they are in love with someone if they can't see that spark in the other's eyes at the first glance? How can they know that they're not being played like a cheap violin if they have to wade through trillions of electrons and thousands of miles before even reaching the beginnings of the truth that they're searching for? The answer: they can't. It's all an illusion, and a damned good one at that. The mere thought that someone that is alone can actually connect with someone on a personal level, without leaving their safe surroundings...what a wonderful concept, right? Wrong! If there is one thing that I have learned from my years trolling around on IRC, and every instant messenger that there is, it's this: that "love" evaporates as soon as you turn off your computer.

I can say this because I have lived on that outer fringe. I met my ex-wife on IRC. I never had that spark. I'm paying the price for it now.