"Young Adult Novel" is a short story by Daniel Pinkwater
. It covers a moment in the lives of the Wild Dada Ducks
, a group of High School
ers dedicated to Dadaism
The Wild Dada Ducks
- The Honorable Venustiano Carranza (President of Mexico), formerly known as Pecos Bill - The founder of the Wild Dada Ducks. He is tall and thin. Wears a baby carriage wheel on a chain over his necktie.
- Charles the Cat - The narrator of the story. He is not tall, and thin. Wears a black necktie with a red plastic fish glued to it.
- The Indiana Zephyr - He is tall and thin.
- Captain Colossal - He is tall and not thin.
- Igor - He is not tall and not thin. Wears a banana on a string around his neck. It's name is Freddie, and he talks to it as well as using it as a mock microphone and pistol.
There is also the Duckettes, the ladies' auxiliary, which is currently unoccupied. The Wild Dada Ducks are the authors of a serial young adult novel
entitled Kevin Shapiro, Boy Orphan
. It chronicles the life and... deaths of Kevin Shapiro, who gets put in a variety of unfortunate situations. It can pretty much be summed up as follows:
Kevin Shapiro, Boy Orphan is different from the novels in the Himmler High School library in that he never solves his problems. Instead, we usually kill him from time to time. Kevin is indestructible. You can kill him as often as you like. He can be brought back to life in the next chapter, which usually gets told the following day during lunch.
The short story "Young Adult Novel" is only 14 chapter
s long, and chronicles what happens when they find a Kevin Shapiro at school, and decide to adopt
the boy orphan. Highly recommended reading for dadaists, or anyone who enjoys the bizarre.