A song by the group Prodigy, from their LP, The Fat of the Land.

The song's entire lyrics consist of: "change my pitch up / smack my bitch up".

Even though the lyrics are mind-numbingly simple, you can't expect to have a song named "Smack my bitch up" and not piss some people off.

The National Organization for Women (NOW) said the lyrics are a "dangerous and offensive message advocating violence against women". Mind you, the basis behind this statement (while understandable) is only from one phrase of the two phrase song.

Liam Howlett, the band's leader, claims the lyrics are misinterpreted - the song means "doing anything intensly, like being on stage - going for extreme manic energy."

Prodigy's dancer Leeroy Thornhill says, "It's just a hook. That's the only thing behind it. The bitch is the music, not a girl thing. A lot of girls say that's their favorite track. There is no message in Prodigy music, really, it's just an expression of hardness."

Indeed, the lyrics aren't even original; they are sampled from an Ultramagnetic MC track.

I think the most interesting thing about the song is its video, which most believe to be brilliant and groundbreaking. The video corresponds to Howlett's message of living life to the extreme. The video is generally banned as it contains violence and sexually explicit material.

Note, this is bit of a spoiler, and part of the fun is the shock of it all, so if you haven't seen it and would like to, I'd advise you to stop reading right now.

The entire video is done in a first person perspective, following an individual throughout the course of an evening. It begins as he showers, shaves, uses the bathroom, dresses, grabs a drink, does some cocaine, and then goes out.

Throughout the whole video, he's drinking, using drugs, and harassing women. The camera is always swinging around, the cuts are very fast and as the video progresses it gets more blurry, emphasizing his inebriation.

He gets something to eat, then goes to a bar. He gets drunk. He goes to a club and dances. He gets hostile, breaking a chair on somebody's back, choking another. He hassles the DJ.

He vomits into a bathroom sink, breaks down the door of a man on the toilet and then drags him away to shoot up in the stall.

He wanders the street and enters a strip club. He gets a dance, then takes a girl to the back by a car (possibly his). They kiss and fondle, and when he can't open the car then he breaks the window and drives them back to his apartment. They get naked and have sex.

The girl leaves, and as he watches her leave, we see a full length mirror. This is the surprise - as you finally see the person who's been causing the mayhem, you find it's a woman.

Thanks LX: The video was directed by Jonas Åkerlund, who has also directed Madonna's "Ray of Light", Metallica's "Turn the Page" and Moby's "James Bond Theme".