- / +

  • I felt bad gossiping to one kid about another.

  • 8 1/2 months pregnant she walks gingerly, perfect round belly.

  • Preparing two packages for Bizz and being careful not to mail them accidentally, too soon. Starburst, safety pins. I kept putting things in the envelopes but they didn't get any heavier.

  • Was it Creche or Candice that we threw off the cliff? She was being a nuisance. She screamed and clawed and tried to pull everyone else over the edge too. I was preoccupied - someone had thrown a wig at me that was as big and heavy as a fur coat; it knocked me down and I lay trapped between dust and hair.

  • WHAM! Paper. Hit me like a semicircle.

  • Was it a real beach or a dream beach? A little lake with big rocks on the shore. Bizz was there - her JoEllen might have taken us there on a Memorial Day years ago. It felt like a tradition.

  • Hiding in the closet from the Lord of Evil. He'd already killed everyone else he was looking for. I had an advantage because I could tap into his brain and he couldn't tell. His computer systems could track my existence on the ship, my life signal, but not my specific movement. I jumped my brain down to the lower deck for a minute and was instantly sorry because I could see the fighting in the sky from there. I went back up to my deck. I found a dead man and stapled him to the bulletin board and stapled my uniform on top of him. I slit his throat and his belly and made it look messy. I was pretty sure the Lord of Evil didn't know what my face looked like, and he might think it was me hanging there. To make my life signal blink out, I covered myself in heaps of polyester clothing as I crouched in the closet. He was coming, I could hear his heavy feet.

  • Going to see Dinosaur with my dad, in a church. We sat down but a little girl in a white dress wasn't satisfied and moved us a few pews up. I was behind an old woman with an immense bush of hair.

  • Estimating the number of words on a page was a lot like hang-gliding, and we all thought that was pretty funny.